To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Default www is moved but DNS and MX: best approach?

Hi, I'm working with a friend to get barryharris.com moved over to WestHost.

We got the web site files moved over with no problems. And as of today "www" is live. And we were in a bit of a hurry to get this part moved over so we did this first.

But now we'd also like to move over the name hosting, DNS and MX to WestHost as well. I am the domain admin so I can make changes to the NS and MX records on the current DNS servers.

But before I started making these changes I thought I'd ask: if we just move the domain name to be held by WestHost (instead of Network Solutions), do the DNS and/or MX records automatically get changed as well?

Just thinking "why bother changing the MX records if we're going to move the name hosting over anyway?"

But if I did just change the MX records on the existing host (so that we can get started on getting email working), is it as simple as creating one MX record with barryharris.com as the name (and same IP as www)? I'm not sure what IP WestHost wants us to use, but maybe that's all there is to it? :-)

If there is a doc somewhere I should be reading that describes all of this somwhere on the Westhost site, please feel free to tell me to read the manual :-) I just didn't see it when I was looking around.

Thank you!
    Drew

Just set your name servers to the ones for West Host. You shouldn't have to mess with the individual records. That does mean logging into Network Solutions Domain Management and not your old hosting company.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

BTW: The problem with useing an IP is that it is possible that it could change. Even if you have a dedicated IP with WH they may have to switch at some point. They try not to do that but if they had to then you would have to go back and edit your files again.
    Shawn

Wow, nice! So, while we're waiting to move the domain name itself over, we can just change the DNS settings in Net Sol to the WestHost DNS server and, if we do, then the A recs and MX recs are all done already? So we don't have to do anything else? That's a nice change from what I'm used to! :-)

Now I just need to get the email addresses configured and we're done! (my friend has about 10,000 emails on his login on the old server -- he's an IMAP user -- I told him he should pop3 it all down to his computer before we repoint the MX recs :-)

Thanks for your help and quick replies!

Drew

Drew,

Yes unless I am missing something in what you have said, once you change your namservers to the WestHost ones then all traffic includeing email is directed to your WH account. Remember there can be up to a 48 hour delay due to propogation. Nothing stops working but some mail could be routed to the old account while some is being directed to the new. Just depends on who is sending it and from where. If you have a static IP at the old host it should not be that hard to log in and check if there is any residue after the fact.
    Shawn

Yep, that worked perfectly! We changed the DNS records and the web site, email -- all working great! My first experience with web hosting and it's been a really good one, thank you!

And no worries about the email -- as you say, we'll have email going both places for a day or two so we'll be sure to grab anything still on the old server.

Thanks again,
    Drew