To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Thread: Awstats

Default Awstats

Is anyone else having trouble with AwStats lately?

My stats have been going haywire since the 4th Feb (low and variable compared to usual traffic over the last several years). Reinstalling the new version of AwStats hasn't fully fixed the problem (although now they are OK some days).

I know the traffic to my site hasn't changed, as I have google ads, and the page impressions recorded in my google ad stats hasn't changed.

Have you checked to see if Awstats is matching what is in the logs for your account? Awstats simply displays the logs created by the system for your account in a "readable" way. This might be an issue that you would want to contact WestHost direct about to make sure something is not up with the logs themselves.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

Hi Shawn, thanks for the reply.

I had thought that the log files might be at fault, but I don't know how to read them; they just seem to be a gigantic dump of data - they won't even fit into excel to let me do a pivot table to count hits.

Looks like a ticket is needed as nobody else seems to be having problems.

Yep the log files are just a "gigantic dump of data" as you call it. It is actually a plain text file of one line per "hit". The thing is hit does not mean a view of a page. Perhaps a better word would be "request". I assume you have a pretty normal page like most sites and on that page you have some images text and maybe some other things. Well all those images on your page have to be "requested" from the server. So for that one "view" of the page you could have quite a few request that are logged to the file. Awstats takes all that data and deciphers it. It can be very hard to follow a log file just be reading it. Oh yes besides just the images, request of other things like javascript and css files that are included in the page get logged.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson