To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Default Protocol: IMAP, Server Response: 'Lost mailbox lock'

I am not an expert in server setup, mail or otherwise.
    I moved from another hosting company to Westhost because they are in my opinion the best out there. I still think so, however. I cannot get this issue resolved.

While running Microsoft Mail (in Vista) setup as IMAP I get the following message...

Protocol: IMAP, Server Response: 'Lost mailbox lock'

I also noticed that the status in the bottom left corner of MS Mail shows "Connected", then, DL 23 of 23, but then instantly goes to "Not Connected to [mailbox]..."

If I click on a message, say to delete it, it might just dissapear before I can even hit delete or if I can hit delete it will cause the above error.

I called tech Support but they could not help on this one, they usually nail any issue in a few seconds.

I really dont know where to go from here. Some of what I have ready talks about issues with duplicate mail boxes with different cases MB and mb.

If anyone has solved this and still uses Outlook, OL Express, or MS Mail and Westhost IMAP, please help.

Many Thanks

Kolin
    Last edited by kolin; 10-08-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Kolin,

I'm not an expert with MS Mail, but it sounds to me like there is some sort of connection problem. I'd suggest checking your firewall settings to make sure MS Mail isn't being partially blocked.

Also, the MS Mail documentation may have some helpful information. I might suggest checking there to see if you can find anything like this issue described in their troubleshooting information.
    Sincerely,

Mark Cox
    Data Center Administrator
    WestHost

When you expect more from your Web host
    http://www.westhost.com/

Are you checking the email account from more than one computer?

http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-...ndex.html#7.19

Quote Originally Posted by WestHost - MCox View Post
    Kolin,

I'm not an expert with MS Mail, but it sounds to me like there is some sort of connection problem. I'd suggest checking your firewall settings to make sure MS Mail isn't being partially blocked.

Also, the MS Mail documentation may have some helpful information. I might suggest checking there to see if you can find anything like this issue described in their troubleshooting information.
    Thanks for the reply Mark, the thing is, the mail was working just fine when is was hosted on another hosting company. I called you guys before I moved it to make sure you could support IMAP. With the prolifiation of Microsoft I assumed that you would be telling me yes, including MS Outlook as a client, but to be sure I confirmed that as well.

Now that I am on Westhost just for the IMAP mail, I find out that Westhost cannot actually support IMAP. The purpose for IMAP as opossed to POP, is that we do need to have 2 people accessing the same box at the same time. Like I stated it worked fine before the switch. The other host was just not as available and as good as they people at Westhost, so I moved mainly for the support. Now I'm kinda in trouble.

I'm going to try to use another Client ad see if that helps. The firewall is the same as it ever was. Everything I read says its a server issue.

Do you think there is anyone at WH who is an IMAP Guru that might be able to help?

I guess worst case is I lose the fees and move it again... Yuk.

Many Thanks

Kolin,
    The problem you are having would be tracked better by WestHost via Support Ticket. You may have already started one on this issue and if so keep using the same one so all the information is in the same one. You might even want to reference this thread and Mark Cox name. It can take some time to sort things out at times but I think if you can stick with it and WestHost can sort out the problem you'll be happy with the results WestHost can offer you.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

It seems an update on this old topic is in order. If you are having this problem (getting error messages in Outlook about "lost mailbox lock") the solution is to upgrade to our newer Dovecot IMAP server which performs message-level locking instead of mailbox-level locking. The new locking system in Dovecot should prevent these error messages.

Note that this problem only happens in Outlook. This is not actually a problem with the IMAP server but with Outlook. Losing the mailbox lock is very common in the IMAP protocol (it just means someone else is looking at the messages) and this does happen if multiple computers/devices are accessing the same account. Outlook mistakenly considers this an error message, but regardless upgrading to Dovecot should solve the problem.
    Nick Venturella
    WestHost Technical Support
    Contact Support: E-mail | Live Chat

When you expect more from your Web host
    http://www.westhost.com/