To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Default Slow Email Access Speed with IMAP and Thunderbird

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have experience with WestHost's IMAP and Thunderbird email client.

I wanted to speed up seek time when selecting emails. I know I have a lot of emails so. I've broken them up into separate folders. But is there anything else I can do to improve the lag time when opening mail folders?

Thanks.
    Christopher Erckert, EN

IMAP is slow for me, too. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with Thunderbird, since I have problems with Squirrelmail and Roundcube timing out as well. Talking to the IMAP server over a telnet connection on port 143, I can cound as much as a 15 to 20 second delay when doing a SELECT command for the first time in folders with ~2000 messages. When selecting the folder for the second time and after, the response is much faster.

I wonder if this has something to do with some filesystem settings?

I've been reading more on this, and it doesn't look to me like it is a filesystem issue. Rather, it is more likely an issue with the IMAP server (Dovecot, right?) re-reading the mbox file when it opens the mail folder. Is mbox_very_dirty_syncs enabled? The only modification to the mbox file is generally going to be delivery of new mail by procmail, and Dovecot can pick that up quickly without re-reading the entire mbox file.

Thoughts?