To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Default apache::mp3 on godaddy shared

i have a shared godaddy account and would like to install apache::mp3 Install

my problem is that i need to edit the httpd.conf file to install and i dont have access to the file. i tried putting the commands in the .htaccess file thinking that they may work anyways but they dont. does anybody know a work around for this, is there another file that can be edited to put the commands that will make this work?

thanks in advance
    -Ryan

Ryan the only work around I can think of would be to switch your hosting to West Host. Really it would be better to ask this question of your hosting company GoDaddy or in thier support forums.

That being said, when you say "i tried putting the commands in the .htaccess file thinking that they may work anyways but they dont.", what do you mean by that? Do you recieve errors? Are all the Prequisites installed that are listed on the page you linked to?
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson

i spent about 30 minutes on the phone with godaddy before they finally just said it cant be done, they wont give me access to the configuration files, and then they started to say that they wanted to sell me some other mp3 program but it cant be used with my hosting account, it has to be used with these accounts with very low storage space.

when i said i tried adding the lines to my htaccess file, i meant lines like

AddType audio/mpeg mp3 MP3
    AddType audio/playlist m3u M3U
    AddType audio/x-scpls pls PLS
    AddType application/x-ogg ogg OGG
    AddType audio/wav wav WAV

and

<Location /Songs>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::MP3
    </Location>

i thought id seen similar commands in htaccess files so i thought it might work

for the prerequesites, the only one that is mandatory is mod_perl, and going to the website , i do not see any install instructions or even download links

and when i have those commands in the htaccess file, nothing happens, it just gives me a normal index page (which i have my htaccess files set up to create)

I really don't think you are going to be able to do this with Godaddy unless you do purchase what they want you to.

mod_perl is a modual just like the apache::mp3 available from CPAN that can be installed but since Godaddy uses shared hosting and not VPS hosting they do not allow you to do such things. It could be they already have it installed on the server though not sure.

If this is something that is important to you then you might want to look at either one of the alternatives programs that Godaddy offered or purchase a hosting plan from WestHost. With West Host you have your own installation of Apache that is seperate from everyone elses which is why they allow us to make changes.

From a quick look at the Apache::MP3 page it looks like it might be workable on a WestHost account. WestHost does allow such modules to be installed by us and the VPS system is set up to accomadate that. On occasion there are things we can't install or that take some extra steps to make work but that is why the forum is here so we can help each other figure it out.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson