To administer your WestHost account, please enter your
Domain Name or Server Manager Username.

WestHost: Professional Website Hosting Company

Default undelivered emails with DADA mail

Greetings,

I need help!

I started using DADA mail to send subscription information via an attachement to about 200 subscribers and found that not all emails get through. After I learned this was happening I changed my procedure to the following: First I send an email with an attachment, then send an email confirming to the recipient that an email was sent. Some users reply they never got the email with the attachment. Just to be safe I started to send another email confirming that two emails were sent and I still get replies indicating they never got the first two.

Has anyone had this problem?

The source of the problem may be with the subscribers' spam filter, but I'm not certain. I've asked each user to request their system administrator to include my email address to an "approved" status.

Are there any other ways to correct this?

Another source of the problem may be where the emails are coming from (Westhost). Can it be that my subscribers use Realtime Blockade List (RBL) similar to Westhost's new feature, but that Westhost one of the organizations listed in the RBL? Its possible that spammers may be using Westhost as their host company.

While Westhost has been trying to solve the problem of their clients receiving spam, does anyone know if there is a way for Westhost to learn if any of THEIR clients may be part of the problem (and ours indirectly)?

Is it possible that DADA mail is the problem and if so should I be looking for another software program to send emails?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

elfreem
    <elfreem@sbcglobal.net>

Is there any pattern to the users who do not receive their email? Various people have had problems emailing Hotmail and Yahoo.

Try manually sending an email to one of the troubled users using this procedure from within a PuTTY session. You will need to find the name of their mailservers. You can do this using DnsStuff.com to perform a DNS Lookup on the domain's MX record. For example, Google.com has four mail servers:
    smtp2.google.com. [Preference = 10]
    smtp3.google.com. [Preference = 10]
    smtp4.google.com. [Preference = 10]
    smtp1.google.com. [Preference = 10]

I doubt that Dada is your problem, after all "Dada Mail is a light-weight, fully featured announce-only Mailing List Manager....Dada Mail can use the sendmail program to send mail to, as well as qmail, exim and smail ... Dada Mail can also send out list messages using an SMTP connection to a SMTP server.", so it is sendmail which is actually transmitting the emails

While Westhost has been trying to solve the problem of their clients receiving spam, does anyone know if there is a way for Westhost to learn if any of THEIR clients may be part of the problem (and ours indirectly)?
    There is not one central place to go, but you can use the tools at SpamHaus.org among other places to see if your IP address is blacklisted.
    Last edited by rolling; 04-26-2007 at 05:08 PM.
    Richard

I have jotted down some of my meddlings at http://www.rollingr.net/wordpress
    Click here for a full list of formatting codes for this forum

If you are on a shared IP then it is possible that some other client of WestHost has gotten the IP blacklisted. That being said WH does not allow their clients to send spam and has a strict policy against it. Even the emails you are sending out could construed as spam perhaps. More then likely it is something other the blacklisting that is causing the problem.

Having a dedicated IP for your account is the best way to reduce this possibility and if your mailing list and email is a vital part of your site and business then $1.00 extra a month for a dedicated IP is well worth it.
    Shawn
    Please remember your charity of choice: http://www.redcross.org

Handy Links: wildjokerdesign.net | Plain Text Editors: EditPlus | Crimson