PDA

View Full Version : Doing Transfer of Website-not all files are transferring

markw10
03-26-2009, 02:46 AM
I just transferred my website to this host. For some reason I have a difference in file sizes.
The size of all of my files on the old host is 175.31MB (183,823,925). On the new host when I check the size of all the files it is 140.34MB (147,159,052).
Then is another test I downloaded the files to my computer from the old host and it shows (175.31MB). I thought it just has to have something to do with the file system on the new host so then I downloaded the files directly to my computer from the new host thinking it would then show up as 175.31MB but it shows up at 140.34MB. It definitely is missing some files. the old host is showing 11,000 files, the new host 8,848 files.
I'm not sure what's going on but I'm sure so me files must be missing so I haven't switched the DNS over to Westhost yet.
I am using Mac OS X and for an FTP program I'm using Transmit 3.6.6. I don't know if it's something to do with this program or even permissions stopping some files from uploading. I obviously have no problems downloading all the files from my old host to the computer but it seems something may be wrong with the upload.
I wondered if any of it could have to do with permissions. Also, when I reupload files that were downloaded from the old server would the permissions I modify (in files such as config.php for security reasons) still stay the same?
One more thing, I also have the Transfer mode since to Binary instead of ASCII or Auto in Transmit. I just want to make sure this is the right mode.
Thanks for assistance with this.

wildjokerdesign
03-26-2009, 07:52 AM
May I ask "what" you are transferring? Is it just files for something like a blog or forum? Is the target /var/www/html? Maybe you are trying to transfer files from the old company that had files that you don't have the permission to edit on WestHost, thus they dont' get uploaded.... although I would think your program would warn you about that.

I am not real sure the effect of transferring in binary a file that is ASCII might have on the size, but you might try Auto for transmission.

It could very well be the programs you are using and some setting but would be hard to know what that is. Nothing pops out in your story from a past issue someone has mentioned.

markw10
03-26-2009, 07:47 PM
It's a CRE Loaded website (OS Commerce based). I already transferred the database and am now just transferring the actual files. I thought it may have to do with permissions but also would think I'd get a warning. I will try auto mode or either a different ftp program and see if that makes a difference.